Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Music + Love + Life a tasteful combination

A big HELLO to all the music lovers out there! This is my first blog and I simply got inspired in writing a blog just by reading a couple of blogs.

I wanted to get a hobby to make my life more exciting than it already is with my lovely 18month old :). He does keep me busy for the most part, so i do need some time for myself and I thought that blogging is probably the best way to spend my time, but I was not sure what I should blog about.... and then music was the first thing that came to my mind, and that got me really excited.....!

I guess music was first introduced to me right after i was born, through the lullabies sung by my mother and probably even my Dad. I am sure thats how everybody gets introduced to music :) ! My Mom & Dad always had a passion for music. Although neither of them had any training in music, they did enjoy listening to songs. My Dad does have a good voice and sings well.  Probably that was the reason why they decided to get me some formal training in Carnatic music and joined me in music classes when i was 6years old.

I still remember my first music teacher, she used to play sitar holding it in the style of a veena. My mom used to drag me to the music class and make me practice at home. I was probably a typical child who would rather play cricket with the boys in the street, than bash her thigh hard to do the talam while singing. Oh by the way I used to call talam - keys in english and my mom used to laugh at me :)!


It all seems funny now, but I am really grateful to my mother for introducing Carnatic music to me. I realized the greatness of music and the difference it made in my life only after my mother passed away a couple of years ago. She always said I had a good voice and asked me never to stop learning music and singing.

I never really got continuous training for music because we had been moving from place to place and had been changing teachers and all of them wanted me to start from the very beginning. Then I had gone to college and never got a chance to learn music till i got married. My husband's interest in music encouraged me to learn music again.

Now my son loves music and I love singing to him. I love music in any form. We listen to rocking music when my son and I are in the car and when my husband is in the car its always old melodies :).


Happy Blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment